PATRIOT ACRES

Adventures in decorating a century farmhouse, and living with dogs






Search This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010

Country Kitchen Decorating Dreams

Although it's a month from our move to our wonderful farmhouse I find myself dreaming night and day of how I want it to look.  I think I'm becoming obsessed, I pour over magazines, books, searching the web (that's how I've found some fantastic blogs which have given me wonderful ideas)  I stumbled upon Canadian Cottage, Janice has such a fantastic sense of style I hope she will forgive me as I plan to copy some of her ideas from her home.  She was nice enough to reply to my request for help in regards to the kitchen.

Sorry not a great photo, but you can see the cupboards and sink, currently there is no backsplash, it's just painted brown (yes brown) - do you see white subway tile???.  I love the sink and taps, the floor is the original maple.  You can see a bit of the original oak wainscotting under the window at right.  I'm not a fan of the cupboards, the style is fine but I feel it's too much wood and just doesn't seem to jive with the age of the house.  I was originally thinking of painting them cream, Janice suggested bright white and as we now have purchased all white appliances I'm going to follow her advice. 

Here you can see the oak wainscotting and the tin wall (the previous tennents painted it a copper colour! Ick).   I'm going to whitewash the wainscotting so that the grain still shows through, and paint the tin walls a nice neutral colour (Janice's advice again - thank you!)  Originally I was thinking a sage green but I'll bring that in with accessories instead.

Kitchen ceiling closeup - love it!!

Close up of the tin wall (painted copper) great texture

Antique light fixture and kitchen ceiling

All the light fixtures in the entire house are antiques that have been rewired.  I like the kitchen fixture but it just doesn't seem to really suit the room.  As I'm planning to put a kitchen island in, I'm thinking this might be the fixture for the space

3 Pendant Island Light from Barn Light Electric
can't decide between the gavanized or the navajo white

Speaking of islands (kitchen not tropical) check out what Rie at Home and Harmony did for her kitchen island, her before and after photos below.  WOW - now I'm on the hunt for a suitable piece to do something similar!  Maybe this is where I can use a sage green paint, and my 10 yards of sage green ticking fabric!!












Thanks to all you fellow bloggers out there for all the fantastic ideas.  I think I'll have to invest in a bib since I find myself drooling so much over all these great photos and ideas!  Once we're actually in the house I'll take more before photos, in progress and of course the after reveal shots!!  If anyone has any ideas, suggestions etc please please comment - all are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment